Friday, May 7, 2010

African Eagle Project

My fifteen year old son has finished all of his Scout requirements and is ready to work on his Eagle Project. We were trying to figure out what to do for his project and then I received a call from my friend, Brett VanLeeuwen. He started a humaniarian organization called Koins for Kenya. He told me he is going to Kenya in July and would love to take Brayden with him to build 100 desks for the school children there for his Eagle Project.

When I told Brayden about this idea, he beamed and said, "Let's do it!" As I have learned more about the children in the villages that he goes to, I know this is what Brayden should do. Over the past seven years, Koins for Kenya has gone over to an area of Kenya outside of Mombosa and built eighteen schools. In July they will finish two more school buildings, but they need desks so the school children aren't sitting in the dirt with chiggers and bot flies. (I got chiggars on my honeymoon in Florida and they were horrible! To see what bot flies do - go to YouTube and type in bot flies to see how bad they are.) Each desk costs $15 and sits three students.

We have received the funding for the desks, but now Brayden needs to raise enough money to get to Kenya to build them. It would be a life changing experience for Brayden and an experience he would never forget.

Right now he is selling roses and chocolates for Mother's day and he is also pre-selling African coin bracelets that he is going to make from the coins he will bring back from Africa to help pay for his way there.

If you are interested in helping him get to Africa, please email me:

powerofapenny@gmail.com

If you want to see pictures of the desks go to koinsforkenya.org.

Thanks for all of your love and support!

No comments:

Post a Comment